The hikes we offer (November – April) are:
- Scheduled weekly hikes in Myakka River State Park (typically Wednesday mornings)
- Monthly hikes to Deep Hole (typically on the first Friday of the month)
- Private Hikes
General Hike Information (Specific hike information may vary)
- Meet at the Visitor Center parking lot just inside of the Park’s south entrance (on 72).
- You will have to enter the park and pay the fee, which is $4 for a car and one person.
- We will drive from the parking lot to the trailhead. Please do not expect the group to wait for you.
- If you plan to cancel for any reason, please call or text as soon as possible.
- If we have to cancel the hike for any reason, we will attempt to let you know by 9 pm the day before the hike.
- A hike will be typically about 2-6 miles long over varying and sometimes soggy terrain. If you do not think you can hike that distance, please let us know.
- Please make us aware of any health issues you or anyone in your party may have.
- There are no bathrooms along the way. So we recommend that you use the bathroom at the Ranger Station if you do not want to use the woods.
- It is likely that we will see some wildlife, and perhaps alligators. In some cases, we may walk close to alligators. If that is a source of great concern to you, please let us know in advance.
- Perhaps the biggest issue on the hike is dehydration from heat, wind and exercise. This can create all kinds of physical problems: dizziness, nausea, fainting. We REQUIRE that everyone on the hike bring and drink their own water: at least one liter.
- We typically return well before lunch, but some may like to bring a snack or an energy bar.
- Long pants and long-sleeved shirts for sun and/or weather protection, as well as for walking through brush.
- Hiking boots or shoes with good support (Expect your shoes to get muddy and wet.)
- Broad-brimmed hat for sun protection
- A day pack for carrying items
- Sun lotion/Bug Spray